Monday, October 20, 2008

Islands of the World Fashion Week is Coming Soon!

The Factio Magazine team can't wait to descend onto the Island of the Bahamas for the first ever Islands of the World Fashion Week, November 5th -8th featuring 38 designers. Not to mention, we are very excited to meet fashion superstars Kenneth Cole, Nick Verreos and Kevan Hall. We'll see you in Nassau!

We caught up with some of the designers to get their take on the upcoming fashion week and tell us about their design style...


Nadya

The aim of the Nadya collection is to allow an outer reflection of an inner voice, creating timeless clothing beyond trends. We blend Asian and Western influences, creative and flexible, fabrics and techniques enhance each other. We use fabrics that dazzle the gods and a focus on function and comfort that are an unbeatable combination. It is in that spirit that we remain focused on producing limited edition unique pieces.
Nadya, Indonesia

Jeannie McQueeny

My design style is resort-oriented. Whether yachting through the beautiful Bahamian waters, or reclining in an elegant Swiss Chalet, the emphasis is on luxurious fabrics with exquisite craftsmanship and clothes that translate easily from one resort to another. The aim is to create clothes that are easy to wear, yet elegant, and always flattering. I love the idea of showing my designs at home!
Genie Nuttall of Jeannie McQueeny International, The Bahamas

Kuumba Designs

What I like the most about Island of the World Fashion Week is the fact that I will be working with other island states from around the world, and international guest designers. Also, we get the opportunity to depict our cultural traditions and address global issues in the form of fashion.
Kuumba Designs, St. Lucia

Sea, Sex, Sun by David Andre

For my first runway show in the Bahamas I’ll showcase my beachwear and swimsuit line Sea, Sex, Sun for men and women. This line is an invitation to those who love the sea, seafood, the breeze, and also pieces that can make you shine under the sun.
Sea, Sex, Sun by David Andre, Haiti

Soka

I would like to think of myself as a diverse Caribbean designer really drawn to color, contrast and movement, while also unconventional with tailoring. My 2008 collection, which I would call creole, is a direct reflection of my cultural immersion living in the French-Caribbean culture of Martinique. It has a romanticism and 1840's colonial theme to it, which shows fashion is a evolution as such as a revolution.
Soka, St. Vincent & The Grenadines

Van Der Vlugt

This will be my first visit there so that is exciting enough as I have traveled all my life and love to see new places. I feel really privileged to be part of the first Islands Fashion Week, especially since I graduated only three weeks before finding out that I had been selected. So for me, this is the big break that many people wait a very long time for.
Van Der Vlugt, Trinidad and Tobago


My 2008-2009 collection is fun, vibrant, trendy, classy and colorful. It reflects all that is Caribbean-our climate, nature, culture and diversity as a people. It features an explosion of colors and represents the flavor of all our islands as we come together to create a pepper pot. It comprises a variety of styles that is comfortable, relaxed, yet fabulous clothing made from fabrics such as silks, chiffons and cottons. The outcome; clothing so comfortable, you won't want to take it off!
Kimmystic.Clo, St. Vincent & The Grenadines

Lamaica Fashions

Coming from the Caribbean it’s like being at home, and I am looking forward to being there.I love that I will show in the Bahamas because I want to show my creativity. I want the world to know the name “LaMaica Fashions” and I'm grateful for getting the opportunity to showcase my collections.
Lamaica Fashions, Jamaica

Everyday I look forward to the unspoiled, pristine nature of St. Vincent's north coast as backdrops to accentuate the exotic tropical tones of my new swimwear line. The waters of the Caribbean, picturesque sunsets, the movement of >Island life coupled with the spirituality of its culture are all tools for the development of the Tami B style.
Tami B Designs, St. Vincent & The Grenadines

Carmen Fiol

Today I am the result of a lifetime of 71 years of constant sewing. The chance to me of this fashion week will be share my perceptions on the matter of designing and sewing where most of the details are hidden to the view of a catwalk, but for those who can appreciate quality would have the chance to notice at least a little bit of my expertise.
Carmen Fiol, Cuba

Deb E Barbour

This is a fantastic opportunity for designers like myself in the Caribbean to showcase the culture and talent that is buried throughout this region. We hear about the Mecca of fashion being in such places as London, Milan, Paris and New York, but the Caribbean has a truly unique style yet to be tapped into and shown to the rest of the world. And this show is helping to uncover this resource.
Deb E Barbour, St. Vincent & The Grenadines


When I show in the Bahamas I love how the people appreciate the beauty of the straw and understand the hard work and the process that is done to design and make a bag.
Opama Designs, The Bahamas

Eric Raisina

I like the idea to show to the audiences what Malagasy inspirations look like when it touched the Parisian allure. I'm excited to be part of the event where I can be with the others Islands designers. That is so cool!
Eric Raisina, Madagascar

Designers of Islands of the World Fashion Week is as follows:

  • Álida Gutiérrez, Cuba

  • Analú, Cuba

  • Apryl Weech, The Bahamas

  • Carlos Valentino, The Bahamas

  • Cabe Creations, Fiji

  • Carmen Fiol, Cuba

  • Christine Demeritte, The Bahamas

  • Deb E Barbour, St. Vincent & The Grenadines

  • Desreen Waller, Jamaica

  • Elements, The Bahamas

  • Raisina, Madagascar

  • Four Seasons Colonade, Barbados

  • Garfi Designs, Bahamas

  • Harl Taylor BAG, The Bahamas

  • Heather Jones Designs, Trinidad and Tobago

  • House of St. John, The Bahamas

  • Hupfeld Hoerder, Fiji

  • Jeannie McQueeny, The Bahamas

  • Kimmystic.Clo, St. Vincent & The Grenadines

  • Kimya Glasgow, St. Vincent & The Grenadines

  • Kuumba Designs, St. Lucia

  • La Bonne Vie Bahamas, The Bahamas

  • Lamaica Fashions, Jamaica

  • Lambert Ho, Fiji

  • Lisa Humes, The Bahamas

  • Luna Design, Barbados

  • Nadya, Indonesia

  • Natural Beats, St. Vincent & The Grenadines

  • Navazoé, Barbados

  • Poshellé, St. Vincent & The Grenadines

  • Opama Designs, The Bahamas

  • Rosie Semisi, Fiji

  • Sea, Sex, Sun by David Andre, Haiti

  • Shaun Griffith Perez Designs, Trinidad and Tobago

  • Soka, St. Vincent & The Grenadines

  • Tami B Designs, St. Vincent & The Grenadines

  • Trèfle, British Virgin Islands

  • Van Der Vlugt, Trinidad and Tobago

In Memory of designer Harl Taylor:

We would like to dedicate this post to Harl Taylor Jr., designer of Harl Taylor BAG, from the Bahamas who unfortunately passed away in November of 2007. The designer studied at a Parson's branch in Paris and sold his coveted handbags at Bergdoff in New York. He split his time between Nassau and Palm Beach and he will be greatly missed by friends, family and the design community. His memory will be lived on as his bags will be showcased through Islands of the World Fashion Week this November.

Harl Taylor Jr. at Bergdorf Goodman, New York City

No comments: