Saturday, February 14, 2009

NY Fash Week Fall '09: Adam


February 14
2pm
Promenade

Why it's hot:
19th century hand-tinted Japanese photographs were inspirations for this designer who showed with cherry blossom details and kimono swirls throughout this collection.

The key trends, colors and shapes: Layering, tailored jackets, and silky trousers aroused; effervescent furs and of course cardigans were seen in this collection. Bright bold colors played a key role in this line, assuring people that this late economic crisis was not going to dull fashion.

Celeb Spotting: Anna Wintour was slotted for seat A-1-9 but did not show. Hmm...

We caught up with Adam Lippes to discuss his influences, find out who the Adam customer is and to see what the future holds for this designer.
Adam Lippes
photo by Factio Magazine


FACTIO MAGAZINE: What kind of influence did Oscar de la Renta have on you in your career? (Adam was the youngest person to hold the creative director title at Oscar from '96 to '04)
ADAM LIPPES: I learned everything about fashion at Oscar. I spent so much time with Oscar from marketing to the advertising to the collection. I am so honored and fortunate to say that I have learned from him and not only about fashion. He's very much a Renaissance man. He's so much about art, so much about philanthropy, so much about giving, about being that person that he's known to be. And he's such a gentleman.

FM: Who is the Adam customer?
AL: I'd like to think it's quintessential, universal, everybody. If there's one thing in everyone's wardrobe, it's a tee-shirt and a pair of jeans. It's so much a foundation. I think our customers appreciate refined, yet stylish clothes and clothes can really take you anywhere, from day to night.

FM: Describe your signature style. Does it match your work?
AL: My signature style is very, very similar. A great pair of pants and a white tee-shirt and of course a great sweater; a lot of cotton, that's my style now. It's very much me. I have to be happy wearing it.

FM: What does global style mean to you?
AL: I think fashion today is global in every which way. It carries itself throughout. The customer is so educated today.

FM: What's one thing that people are surprised to know about you?
AL: Probably that I have a farm upstate and I love going up there to really chill and relax and that my true passion in life is art. I love being surrounded by art.

FM: How do you stay on trend? Is it just a gut thing that you're always on mark?
AL: It is a gut; you just feel it, especially being in New York City in the fashion capital of the world in this industry everyday.

FM: What do you think about Chicago style?
AL: I love Chicago as a city, actually I was there a while back when I was on Oprah...she is extraordinary...that was definitely a highlight of my career. So I spent some time in Chicago, those stores are incredible. Shopping in Chicago is amazing, it's such a great city!


FM: Where do you see Adam, the brand, in the future?
AL: I really want to be a major American brand. Stand-alone stores are really important to me. I want to be the designer collection in the contemporary market.
-Katie Davidson and Vicki Salemi for www.factio-magazine.com

No comments: