Friday, February 13, 2009

NY Fash Week Fall '09: Rachel Roy



February 13
IAC Building

Why it's hot: Rachel Roy always designs for the strong woman, so what was her inspiration for this elegant line? "Inward tranquility from finding strength in what is true and elegant," is what she told us and that about said it all.

The key trends, colors, shapes: underwear as outwear, bra tops, sheer sided dresses, strong shoulders, feminine, black, cream, silver, very elegant, flow with structure, black lipstick, ivory, pale yellow, ice blue, cutout dresses, bustier tops.

Celeb Spotting: Helena Christensen, Olivia Palermo, Vogue’s Andre Leon Talley, Veronica Webb, and Phillip Bloch.

Where to buy: Go to www.rachelroy.com to find a complete list including international and online shops!

We caught up with the designer to discuss vintage magazines we love, who she designs for and what people are surprised to know about her!
Rachel Roy (pictured right)
Photo by Alyssa Blanchard for Factio Magazine


FACTIO MAGAZINE: When did you realize you wanted to be a designer?
RACHEL ROY: Ever since I was a little girl I knew I always wanted to be in fashion. I didn't know if that was going to be in the way of a magazine editor, fashion designer, a stylist, or buyer. But it's something I've always had a passion for, passed my time. You know something that little girls can buy, or boys for that matter too, are fashion magazines. No matter how much money you have, you have three dollars. I still have some of my Vogues from my childhood and I actually use them today in referencing collections. And you'll have to cut me off because I could go on and on. Do you know how expensive Vogues are from the '80s and everything?

FM: I know it's good. I like to reference.
RR: Yeah, Yeah, good ideas.
FM: It pains me to throw them away.
RR: The Vogues I can't.
FM: I just can't either and you know some that go out like Top Model magazine from ten years ago.
RR: Oh my god, you still have Top Model! I still have Top Model at home where I grew up, but it's probably in the basement. Now I'm jealous. I totally forgot about Top Model. Now I'm going to be obsessed with getting them back and my dad's not going to get them. I'm so glad you reminded me about Top Model.

FM: Who is the Rachel Roy Woman?
RR: I design for the woman I aspire to be. We're complex and we're so many different things. We're strong and we're caretakers and we're feminine and we're modern.

FM: What are people surprised to know about you?
RR: I don't know (laughs). A lot. I enjoy my bed. I like sleeping. I like reading in bed. I love Project Runway. I watch it with my 8-year-old. I mean, I'm a fairly normal woman. I don't know if that's a surprise or not.
-ChloƩ van der Wel and Melissa Maynard for
www.factio-magazine.com

No comments: